Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Search for Master Sha

The spiritual journey towards enlightenment, under the training of Master Sha over the last nine years, has been an absolutely amazing and beautiful part of my life. It was very difficult and very challenging, yet, at the same time, very beautiful. My meeting with Master Sha was pre-ordained by Heaven. It was not something that happened by chance.

From childhood, I was exposed to sad struggles of human beings. I wondered how such conflict could be possible when the Holy books spoke about love, about teachings to turn the other cheek and forgive if somebody hit you on one cheek. That sounded so beautiful, but when I saw the reality around me, it was a very different story. However, people around me behaved very differently from the way described in holy books. I was extremely disappointed with all this contradiction. When I went to the churches, I didn’t feel comfortable. I didn’t feel the love; I didn’t feel the light. I felt threatened. Adults would always hush up even the slightest noise. It all seemed to be so stifled, so unnatural.

This type of spirituality was not something that suited me, so I started searching for something else and found Buddhism and Taoism. I read many books and I tried to practice the art of meditation on my own. It was a long journey until I came to Canada. As soon as I arrived in Canada, I wanted to learn about spirituality as much as I could. Because I had learned from books all my life and had become somewhat attached to that mode, I continued studying spirituality from books. However, I did also attend a church.

There were so many books available in Canada. I started reading about Taoism and its practices, of practice in remote mountains and secluded places, about hermits and recluses and so forth. I read stories about masters and their disciples, their training of students, life inside Buddhist monasteries. All that was very mysterious and very appealing to me. From about the time I was thirty-two years old, I realized I wanted to learn from a master, to have one guide me like the old spiritual masters that I had read about in books.

No comments: